It’s summer! And that means Facebook is full of vacation posts from faraway lands. It seems as though everyone you know is eating gelato in Italy or cruising in Alaska. If you’re saving money to pay for fertility treatment and have resolved that the farthest you can travel this summer is your backyard, this post is for you. Dr. Marc Fritz of UNC Fertility in Raleigh, North Carolina offers great tips on how to scrimp and save this summer…without sacrificing fun in the sun.
It’s All About the Staycation
Who says you have to pack your bags to have a great time? Summer is primetime for festivals, fairs, and farmer’s markets. All of which provide tons of fun for very little cash. No matter where your interests lie there’s a good chance you’ll find an outdoor event to match it. Here are just a few ideas:
• Music Festivals
• Food Truck Festivals
• Art Shows
• Weekly Farmer’s Markets
• Hot Air Balloon Festivals
• Peach Festivals (Also Strawberry, Blueberry, Raspberry…you get the idea)
• Film Festivals
Check the Facebook page for your town, and area towns, to see what’s happening near you. Many are FREE!
Also, remember to utilize everything your town has to offer. Visits to local pools, beaches, campgrounds, and picnics in the park are a great way to while away the lazy days of summer without spending a fortune.
So maybe you’re staycation-ed out and are feeling the travel bug. A quick overnight trip to a nearby destination can scratch that travel itch without breaking the bank. You can save a few dollars by packing snacks and drinks for the drive and booking a night in a small town rather than a large city. Also, if you can swing it, plan your trip mid-week. Rates are usually lower on Tuesday or Wednesday than Friday or Saturday. Or hold out until mid-August…it’s easier to find travel deals when kids are back in school.
No, really. Garage sales and flea markets heat up during the summer months. Some people love the thrill of the hunt. Others love sharpening their bargaining skills. It can also be a great way to score some fantastic items at rock bottom prices. (How fabulous does it feel to pay next to nothing for an item that once sold for beaucoup bucks?!?) Check your local paper or online to find sales in your area.
Practical Ways to Save
There are all kinds of ways you can have fun on the cheap when the weather warms up. There are also lots of things you can do to save money on the more boring things in life, like utility bills. Read on for tips that patients at UNC Fertility in Raleigh, North Carolina have put into place to cut costs and save for fertility treatment.
• Unplug. Pull the plug on appliances you don’t use much. Only plug them in when you need them.
• Grow. Plant a garden to save money on fresh fruits and veggies.
• Tend. If you pay someone to cut your lawn this may be the year to take it on yourself. It’s great exercise and is a relatively easy way to add to your savings.
• Strategize. Save on air conditioning costs. Open windows at night and run fans on low. Close shades and curtains where the afternoon sun streams in.
• Decrease. Take a break from at least one screen this summer. Most people don’t watch nearly as much TV when it warms up, and you’ll likely find significant savings by canceling that costly bill.
• Grill. Decrease oven usage and avoid heating up the house (thereby impacting AC usage!) by taking advantage of great grilling weather.
Fun and summer have always gone hand in hand; setting money aside to help grow your family doesn’t have to change that. Call Dr. Marc Fritz of UNC Fertility at 919-908-0000 if you’d like more tips on the best way to plan for the financial impact of fertility treatment.